Animal Wildlife Trapping: Raccoon, Squirrel and Skunk
Hawkeye is a LICENSED trapping service
Most procedures are different for us than our competitors.
Hawkeye ADVANTAGE OF LIVE ANIMAL TRAPPING
- Safer than potential hazardous poison baits (Placing poison in such a
way that it is accessible to animals is a contravention of the Criminal Code
- Quick, immediate results
- Usually safer for the resident or corporate/government customer
- SPCA/animal activists approved (legal and permitted)
- Permanently solved the problem (Hawkeye guarantees that animal will
not return, or we will keep trapping until there is no return)
- Multiple traps for multiple animals, We usually start with two but will provide more, if needed.
Hawkeye's live traps are open mesh commercial grade live animal traps.
The open mesh type traps are constructed of a heavy gauge wire and have a
steel frame. This type of trap comes in many varieties including single
entry (open at one end), double entry (open at both ends), and collapsible
(easy to transport and requires less storage space).
With live traps, there are two choices:
- Traps with a rear door for release and cover for the elements which you, the customer, check daily.
See Setting traps for small pest animals/wildlife »
- Hawkeye checks the trap for food, water, shelter, heat, cold etc and efficiency as well as ethical treatment.
Outdoor covered live trap used for rabbits, raccoons, skunks, etc.
|This raccoon was stuck between the walls of the house and the attic. Since access was impossible from the attic or the outside, a custom trap was designed to capture the animal from within the home.|
|Typical installation of live trap with cover to protect animal against the elements, placed next to skunk hole underneath deck.|
The big question is what to do with animals after trapping (licensing issues)
-Release: In the province of Ontario animals may be released one kilometer from trapped location
-Euthanasia: Only performed by a licensed trapper with the province of Ontario.
- Litters in Ontario: Raccoons for example usually have one litter per year, with an average of three to seven young per litter, from March to July. This means that from late March through June, there may be baby raccoons entirely dependent upon their mother for food and protection. Hawkeye will have to trap the entire family and remove all of them so that there are no stragglers left behind inhumanely. This process may get expensive, especially if there is a large litter.
- If food is abundant on premises, this method is found to be less effective (Example: Food manufacuring/processing plants). The only viable solution is to secure as much loose food as possible.
Page summary: Animal wildlife trapping: Humane, live traps suitable for raccoons, squirrels, skunks and other small to medium size wildlife.