Ledge Protection Systems
Spike Needles, Bird-Flite, Nixalite, Porcupine Needles, Sharp Needles
This type of ledge protection is installed on thousands of buildings with good success rates, even under heavy bird pressure. Its thin, stainless steel rods and U.V.-resistant polycarbonate base or stainless base, are extremely durable and it is also quite inconspicuous. Some spikes are blunted, preventing injury to birds or unsuspecting workmen and some are quite sharp.
Spikes come in several widths; the correct width must be chosen for the right ledge. Not installing a sufficient amount of spikes is a common mistake; the entire ledge needs to be covered to be effective (otherwise pigeons will get in behind it). Also, corners and all open sides of ledge need to be covered and/or closed off.
Ease of Installation:
All stainless steel spike sample
Easy to put up and works reasonably well
- The sharp tips can be hazardous for workmen.
- If installed, especially in the lower areas of a building, it my be unattractive (giving the structure a jail-like appearance).
- Some of the polycarbonates crack in the coolest of weather.
- The spikes may be covered in snow and rendered useless.
- Some birds are smart enough to use the spike needles to hold their nesting materials.
- Fall leaves may get caught in the spike needles, providing a base for nesting for the birds.
- Leaving a greater than 2" gap behind the base provides more of an area for the pigeon to get into from the side and walk in and plant the nest from behind. The entire area must be covered which is rather costly.
|Bird-Flite Narrow |
2.5" Wide - For ledges 2.5" to4" wide.
|Bird-Flite Wide |
4.5" Wide - For ledges 5" to 7" wide.
|Bird-Flite Xtra-Wide |
8" Wide - For ledges 7" to 10" wide.
Rain gutters have always been a problem bird area. For years installers have adapted other bird deterrents for the task. We have simplified the installation, thanks to the introduction of Gutter-Point. Thin stainless steel spikes protrude upwards from a plastic base, making it difficult for
birds to gain a foothold. Gutter-Point's specially designed clips make it easy to install and the spike configuration protects not only the edge of the gutter, but the inside as well.