To help prevent raccoon infection it is important to discourage raccoons from lingering around your property. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Ensure garbage is in a can with a tightly sealed lid or kept out of reach inside a garage or shed. Keep in mind, that raccoons are extremely handy and capable of opening containers.
- Do not leave out accessible food sources such as pet or bird feed. Unfortunately, also fruit trees and ponds with fish provide food for raccoons.
- Trim trees away from your house.
- Keep shrubs around the base of the house trimmed.
- Keep your roof in good repair.
- Ensure the base of decks, sheds and porches are enclosed.
- Do not intentionally feed raccoons or keep as pets.