Hawkeye is a LICENSED trapping service.
Most procedures are different for us than for our competitors.
Hawkeye ADVANTAGE OF LIVE ANIMAL TRAPPING
- Safer than potential hazardous poison baits
(Placing poison in such a way that it is accessible to animals is a contravention of the Criminal Code of Canada.)
- Quick, immediate results
- Safer for the residential or corporate/government customer
- SPCA/animal activists approved (legal and permitted)
- Permanently solve the problem
(Hawkeye guarantees that animal willnot return, or we will keep trapping until there is no return)
- Multiple traps for multiple animals, We usually start with two but will provide more, if needed.
Hawkeye's live traps are open mesh commercial grade live animal traps. The open mesh type traps are constructed of a heavy gauge wire and have a steel frame. This type of trap comes in many varieties including single entry (open at one end), double entry (open at both ends), and collapsible (easy to transport and requires less storage space).
Are there different types of traps?
- Traps with a rear door for release and cover for the elements which you, the customer, check daily.
See Setting traps for small pest animals/wildlife »
- Hawkeye checks the trap for food, water, shelter, heat, cold etc and efficiency as well as ethical treatment.
Once trapped, what happens to the animal?
The big question is what to do with animals after trapping (licensing issues)
-Release: In the province of Ontario animals may be released no farther than one kilometer from trapped location
-Euthanasia: Only performed by a licensed trapper within the province of Ontario.
- Litters in Ontario: Raccoons for example usually have one litter per year, with an average of three to seven young per litter, from March to July. This means that from late March through June, there may be baby raccoons entirely dependent upon their mother for food and protection. Hawkeye will have to trap the entire family and remove all of them so that there are no stragglers left behind inhumanely. This process may get expensive, especially if there is a large litter.
- If food is abundant on premises, this method is found to be less effective (Example: Food manufacuring/processing plants). The only viable solution is to secure as much loose food as possible.
Page summary: Animal wildlife trapping: Humane, live traps suitable for raccoons, squirrels, skunks and other small to medium size pest animals & wildlife.